Sunday, June 24, 2012

First stop, NYC

It has only been one day and I have had such a hospitable experience. Everyone Marquise knows is so kind and generous. She said, "that's just how Haitians are."

We arrived at the Manhattan bus station around 3:30 p.m. and her friend picked us up...late, so it made for a long day. (I got really excited to be in Manhattan because I have been obsessed with Mad Men lately, and for some reason my heart got excited and nervous, like I was going to meet Donald Draper. =] )

I don't know why sitting on a bus is so exhausting, but it might be the fact that I have no room for my legs and I felt claustrophobic. I'm just glad to be here. It has already been such a great experience, seeing the many different buildings all around me, watching the people, trying to make strangers smile with my own. I just love that fact that NYC is so diverse and everybody is free to be without judgement.

I went to the Bronx for the first time yesterday and I wasn't really sure what to imagine. There is trash everywhere, and people stare at you. There is also constant honking of the horn, which is expected. The driving is insane and I don't know how drivers do it. It is unsettling watching them, yet I still feel safe.

I've already had two Haitian meals, and I am learning a little bit of Creole each day.

Pase yon bel joune translates to Have a beautiful day!

I guess we are going to a Haitian festival later, which is exciting so I hope those plans don't change. A beautiful man Marquise knows invited us. I am fond of him and his gentleness. It also helps that he is very handsome.

I feel like it was such a gift to meet Marquise because she has already exposed me to so much, and I know there will be more to come.

One last thing. Marquise has already taught me how to dance (to Haitian music), and if you didn't know, dancing is one of my many favorite activities. The Haitian dance style is sensual yet simple, and I will totally fit in when we go out in Haiti. I love to move my hips to the beat.

Bonjour!

Andie

1 comment:

  1. I love you! You should post pics as soon as you can :D

    ReplyDelete