Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Gay is not okay?


I went out on Saturday night, in Petion Ville, which apparently is a ritzy part of Haiti. There are a mixed group of races. To be honest, it was nice to see white people hanging out enjoying themselves in Haiti. I went with Fritz, Marquise, and some other friends with only one intention… to dance the night away. I don’t mind dancing with myself, and sometimes I like it, after I feel comfortable enough. I usually have to convince myself that nobody is watching me, and I am NEVER going to see these people again so I can just be myself. After I enjoyed a few Prestiges, I started to loosen up, but in no time a boy asked me to dance.

Well, let’s back it up. Before this boy asked me, Marquise and I saw this guy on the dance floor dancing pretty spectacularly. He was shaking his hips like no one else’s business, and Marquise pointed him out saying, “Now THERE is a gay Haitian boy.” (We have had our talks about gays in Haiti before this encounter) Oh yeah! Totally! I told her I should ask him to dance with me. Of course my nerves said… no way! But two minutes later, he asked me to dance and away we went. He kept saying I was a great dancer, but I was nothing compared to him. I wish I could describe his skills. Basically, if you have ever been to a club and seen a flamboyant gay guy dancing with his girls, this guy fits the criteria.

Anyways, as the time passed, I needed to use the ladies room and he persisted on bringing me. I felt comfortable enough around my new friend to ask him a personal question… I quietly asked him, “Are you gay?” Please don't judge me for asking someone this question, but I was really curious on what his response would be. 

His response was so odd and not what I expected. He told me that he was gay, that his close friends and family know but he prefers to have a romance with a woman and that people ask and tell him that all the time. I tried to explain to him that he should accept who he is and I would never judge him for liking men, but throughout the night he was upset that I asked him and kept on reassuring me that he likes women, while I just kept on reassuring him that whatever he wants is fine and he needs to be true to himself. It was very strange, the whole thing. I definitely opened a can of worms on that one. 

Oh gosh, so the night just started and more boys asked me to dance. Sure, it is just dancing and it was a lot of fun. The gay boy got very jealous and possessive and didn’t want me to dance with anyone but him. As I was dancing with another, he put his hat on me, like he owned me, and he tried to cut in and started dancing with me again. I was getting frustrated at this point. During this time he asked for my phone number and I told him I didn’t know it, which is the truth, and he didn’t believe me. Let’s just say I tried to stay away from him for the rest of the night, and the night ended quickly anyways because of more drama I somehow created that I can't explain on here. 

All I wanted to do was dance, and I didn’t really care with whom, which is why I felt most comfortable dancing with myself. Whoa! I think my dancing nights in Haiti are over with, which is unfortunate because dancing is my escape. It is the combination of music and feeling the rhythm of each song that I just love so much. It is like when a runner goes on a jog to release whatever it is they need and want to release. It is my exercise and remedy all at once. Just talking about it gets me all excited. I look forward to going out in Potsdam when I return home.

That is all for now. Much love! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Andie. You silly drama creating man eater ;) I can't wait to dance with you in my silly shack and talk for hous and hours (in english) <3

    ReplyDelete