Monday, August 20, 2012

WAKE up!


I know it’s been a while since I have written but that is because I have been in a slump, and to be honest a little too lazy to write. However, on Friday night I had a great experience that I feel necessary to share. I went to a Haitian wake. First, I need to give my condolences to the lady who passed away. I don’t actually know her name but I saw her body. She was 76 and her hair was braided with a comb in it. I asked why they left the comb in her hair and they said that’s because that is the comb she always used. The wake was so beautiful in a sense that it was different compared to the American tradition. I would rather mine be similar to the Haitian style than the not so lively wakes they have at home. 

First, we got there and some boys were outside making jokes about the people crying over the loss of their loved ones. I’m not saying that is the cool part, because it is disrespectful, but it is reality. There were several activities going on at once. In one area there was a woman screaming at God asking him why he took her loved one. In another area, people were sitting around telling jokes and stories, reminiscing about the good times they had with their friend. They were also selling alcohol and cigarettes throughout the night. And… they gave out candy and ginger tea to everyone.

In the house where she lived, there were several benches people were sitting on, leaving and entering the room when they felt like it. This was my favorite place. They were singing hymns, the same hymns they sing at church. I took this moment for myself to remember my father. We sang hymns at my father’s funeral and he is the only person I have really loved in my life that has passed away. It was inevitable for his memories to arise during this wake. I spent about fifteen minutes listening to these Haitians sing to God about the loss of their friend/family member, while thinking about how much I missed my father.

Following, Marquise went on to show me what was going on here and there, and she told me that this wake is also a social gathering that lasts until 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. Girls sneak out of their house to meet up with their boyfriends, and anyone can come to this wake. I’m not sure how I feel about that if it was my wake, but then again I would be dead.

At last, my favorite part of the night was when a crowd formed a circle and ‘the boys’ started dancing.  This was SO COOL. These boys did some stomping dance around each other, like a competition. It was awesome because I don’t see this at home, especially at a wake. The only time I really see this kind of stuff is on television. It got dusty from all the stomping after ten minutes, so I left.

I almost said no to going to this event but then I thought to myself, “When am I ever going to be able to attend a wake in Haiti again?” I convinced myself to go.

I have some other memories to share before I leave, and I am waiting until I get to Port-au-Prince to write the rest of those. I can’t believe I leave in less then a week. First goal when I get home, find a part time job. Sad, but that’s reality.

Marquise and I have really grown close this past week and I am going to miss her. : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment