Friday, August 31, 2012

Last blog, but maybe just for now


I haven’t written in my blog for quite some time. There have been many events I wanted to share but couldn’t because it is inappropriate to share, or my memory isn’t as fresh. I have had a great experience while I have been in Haiti, but the best word to describe my time here is challenge. Of course I have learned a lot about myself. I now know what I am capable of, and what I can or cannot manage in the future. I believe I will be able to handle any situation I am in, but not without the help from others.

First I want to explain what I am thankful for in the U.S. I have a list, and I knew when I finished my time in Haiti and returned home, I would be that much more grateful. I know I am already a humble person and sometimes I say thank you too much. My cousin Kenny tells everyone “your welcome”, even if someone does a favor for him, but his confidence is through the roof. The truth is, I like to thank people. I want people to know they are appreciated, and I also want people to acknowledge my dedication to humanity. I don’t do it for the acknowledgment; I do it because it makes my heart and soul happy. I was born this way… So anyways… I will try not to make the list so long, but here it is.

1. Hot showers - I can’t tell you how many times I have had a cold shower, and each time I have a two second body shock. Bainet is the worst because in the rural area it is generally cooler, with fresh air and a low populated area. Port-au-Prince is mildly cold, and I don’t have to hold my breath to prepare myself for a cold body shock.

2. Garbage companies – I explained this in a previous blog, but I still look for a trashcan if I am in a public place, and my heart quietly itches when I throw something away on the ground. Haiti is littered with garbage, in the streets, in people’s yards, in the parking lots, in the water, etc. It is all so crazy to me, still, that Haiti hasn’t become modernly advanced in creating garbage companies to collect trash. If you didn’t know, each person is the government and they don’t have a government like the U.S., so a lot of things are bizarre here.

3. Employment – Almost everyone in Haiti is an entrepreneur.  There are businesses everywhere on the street, selling anything to make a dollar. If it were me, I would sell what I love. People sell food, beverages, health and beauty products, anything and everything they sell in America. These people are considered low class on the ranking pole, and they would do anything to earn a living, if it includes selling your products at the market from dusk until dawn. Even if I had to work at Wal-Mart part time to pay my bills, I was still fortunate to have a descent job without hard labor. 

4. Washer and dryer appliances – I learned how they do laundry in Haiti and of course they are professionals and I am such a rookie. I will wash my clothes because I like being independent, but these Haitian women laugh at me and take over. I may not be good at washing clothes traditionally, but I try my best. They still don’t come out as clean and fresh as they would if there was a washer and dryer involved, but that is how it works in Haiti.

There are still many many things I am thankful for, from electricity to easy living. One U.S. dollar equals eight Haitian dollars, and that might not mean anything to you, but life in Haiti is very difficult. Because I am white, the majority of Haitians assume I have money, and I can’t tell you how many times I have been asked for a handout.

I still have a lot more I want to write about but this will be my last blog for a while. I thank Marquise for putting up with me. I know I was difficult to handle at times. I guess she is the only one I felt really comfortable around, so she got to see the worst of me.

Now that I am home, I have SO much to do. Apply for jobs, see all my friends and family, work out, learn how to cook, etc. I do enjoy being home.

Thank you all for reading my blog and enjoying my experience with me!!!

I will be adding pictures throughout the week, on facebook and here. They add character!  

No comments:

Post a Comment