Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The adventure is just beginning

I am still in Port-au-Prince, and we leave for Bainet tomorrow. As for now, I love my family here. I think that is why I wake up smiling every day. I can tell they love me, and even though we can't communicate with language, they reassure me that they love me through their actions and smiles.


I felt sick yesterday morning, and I am pretty sure it was just because I was hungry, but the mother of the household, Lona, made me tea. It was the most disgusting liquid I have ever downed before, but Marquise said it would help. It did, or maybe it was the food. Oh, and we have spaghetti for breakfast often. Today it was too spicy for me, but it is still delicious.
Me drinking the tea. Marquise had to take a picture.


This is Dada, and she is pretty amazing. She did my hair for me and she is quick with everything, from laundry, to cooking and cleaning. We laughed so hard today I almost peed myself! She is my favorite, but they are all my favorite in some way. 


This is me learning Creole, and the boy next to me is Ricardo! He speaks okay English, but while he is helping me with my Creole, I am helping him with his English. I look forward to his visits, mostly because he is handsome and I love the way he speaks.

This is downtown in Port-au-Prince. I went there for a meeting, and it was INSANE. The driving is crazy and there are people all over the streets, selling anything to earn a living. There are even children and orphans working. When we have to stop because there is a traffic jam, little boys start wiping the dust off the car to get a coin or two for their next meal. Marquise said they are smart because even if we say we don't have money, they still clean the car. Usually Fritz will find something to give if he can.

I have a ton more I want to share, as in pictures and thoughts, but I think this is plenty for now.

Bonne nuit - Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment