Sunday, July 15, 2012

What is your belief?


Good morning!

Oh jeepers, another day, and Sunday at that! Most Haitians are firm believers in Jesus, so Sunday is a day of gathering for church and family. Marquise tells me they make a big feast and enjoy each other’s company for dinner. Sounds similar to the U.S. church goers back home. I love Sundays at home and here for family gathering reasons.

Last Sunday in PAP, each family member that works always has Sunday off, so in the afternoon there was housework to be done after church. Dusting the furniture, wiping down the walls, washing piles of laundry, resetting the dinner table for the mini celebration of life, love and praise. It was nice. After we all eat, we sit around outside, laying on each other, talking about the week, making jokes, and just relaxing.

Now that I am in Bainet, I am not sure what this Sunday will bring. I am not a religious person by any means, and once upon a time I thought I believed in God, but that may have been a facade. I know that I was surrounded and influenced by friends I made when I first moved to New York. They all have relationships with The Holy Spirit. Some of the friends have been going to church with their family their whole life. Some have found Jesus later in life and believe he is should be served through loving him and all others. I am still very close with two of these friends, and they haven’t given up on me because of the path I have chosen, and they won’t let me give up on them, no matter how much I think they judge (even though they don’t). They are my sisters and I wouldn’t be Andie without them.

Back to my belief. I am not sure what I believe in… still. I like to think that whatever you have faith in, whatever kind of spiritual leader you follow, or what religion you believe, or if you don’t believe in anything at all but yourself, that you are correct in your ways, as long as it is pure goodness.

Personally, if I could have my own way, I would go to a “church” where all the members wanted to do good for their community and world without having to follow a God and just be good individuals. My friend Brianna wrote on my Facebook wall yesterday about how I am destined to do good things in this world. I agree, I enjoy serving others because it is where my heart it, but why do I have to put a god before that?

I mostly just believe in myself, and maybe there will come a day when I will ‘find my guru’ as Elizabeth Gilbert once stated.

I feel very blessed to be here.

Pase yon bel joune! – Have a nice day!
Much love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment