Monday, July 2, 2012

Arrived at last!

It is beautiful here. Everything is beautiful... the people, the art, the language, the music, the food. I can't wait to start teaching. I meet the children on Friday, we are having the end of the year celebration. I will take pictures to post.
Everyone has been so kind to me, I feel like a queen. They won't let me help with anything. I am the first one served for each meal. The ladies come in to clean my room, and I feel very fortunate and safe.

The place we are staying at is gorgeous, although it is unfinished. It is like a mini palace.


When you first meet someone, you kiss them on the cheek. It's personal, which is why I like it. I am awkward at times. Sometimes I kiss both cheeks, sometimes just one.
The first day we arrived, we went to visit Marquises family. I met two girls that smiled and stared at me. They wanted to speak but I can't quite speak Creole... yet, and they don't speak English. Well we used our body language and eye contact to communicate. The girls picked up a rope and I instantly knew that meant they wanted to play jump rope with me. I was reminded of my childhood.
When it was time to go, we hugged goodbye and I said "Mwen Kontan we'w" (nice to meet you) I liked them and their company as much as they liked mine. When I returned the next day, I got the sweetest hug from one of the girls. It reminded me of my purpose here.

Also, there are these trucks called tap taps, a form of transportation, and I want to ride one once while I am here. They are colorful and stuffed with people. The people here carry any and everything on their heads, and they make it look so easy. I also want to try this, even though when I was a child I tried this with an apple or a book. It isn't at all easy. They put a cloth on their head, and then the object.
This isn't what a normal tap tap looks like, but I wanted to share the art on this one with you. Haiti is colors, and they are also the only country that expresses art on their vehicles.

The electricity comes and goes. While I was just starting to eat dinner around 8:00ish, the lights went out, and thankfully I had my flashlight around my neck.  After dinner I brought out my playing cards and that was a riot. They love the way I shuffle. It was cool and I felt like I finally impressed them. They taught me how to play a game, and it was a bonding moment. I already know I want to come back some day again, and it's only been two days. 


I bathe twice a day, and there are no showers here, but I love my bath time. It reminds me of when I was a child and my mother would put me in a bath and pour a cup of water on me, then wash me up, and rinse me again. I love this for some reason, and I think part of it is because my body is hot and sweaty from the day, so the bath time is a nice way to cool down. It feels awesome and shocking at the same time, because the water is mildly cold but so refreshing. That pink bucket it my shower. 

I don't know how often I can get on the internet, and that is okay with me, except I could write in my blog everyday if I could. Everything is different and I love it. 

Mwen kontan - I'm happy!  :0

No comments:

Post a Comment