Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Memories


I made a great memory last Thursday that I have been meaning to write about. Seven of us went on a hike, and we went down the mountain, I mean really steep down. It is harder for me to walk down the mountain because my knees feel weak. I guess I don’t do it enough. However, going up the mountain is a workout I enjoy. It is so instant, my legs burn and I know I am pumping some iron. Of course I was the one lagging while everyone was like a bunny jumping from rock to rock. They didn’t mind and Jimmy waited for me, singing silly songs and recommending I take pictures of such and such because it is beautiful and he knew it was new to me. I took a picture of homemade paint. It’s a natural resource. They dig white rocks out of the ground and then put it on huge fire and also let it soak up the sun. Then it becomes like powder and they smash it and add water. Finally they take a broom and paint their houses or whatever needs to be painted. The whole idea is pretty interesting.



Well on our walk we stopped at several places to rest and visit loved ones along the way. My bottle of water ran out quickly and I was starting to get hungry, but I plowed through without complaints. At one point we went by a cemetery and they were all quiet and respectful, but I heard Jimmy try to say the word in English so I said loudly, “A CEMETERY.” They all turned and laughed at me and gave me the shhh… signal. Oh. It is strange because they build little houses for deceased ones, not tombstones. These things are serious, and some are as big as the size of an average porch. And some of them are quiet beautiful. There is one outside this house in Bainet for their Grandmother. Below is a picture I took of the generator used for one of the 'projects' and to the right of that you can see their Grandmother's house tombstone. I forget what they call it.


So we were getting close to home and I finally knew where I was, and I started to head back but they said we have one other place to go. By now we have been walking over 45 minutes (haha!) and I am hungry, thirsty, and tired. My sunburn I explained from a previous blog was in pain and Yeah Yeah Yeah. Jimmy said I had no choice but to go and we would be headed home soon. I am so happy I didn’t let my stubbornness take control because we went to another friends house and it was one of my favorite memories yet. The boys cut down sugarcane and we sucked the sugar out of them, they opened coconuts and drank the juice, and mangos were being passed out to everyone. It was my one of my favorite moments because we were all just having fun by being silly with these natural treats. Everyone was having a good time. I had my camera with me so I took many photos, mostly of the view and the new friends I made. It was pretty cool!



Counting the days until I can come home. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment