Sunday, July 29, 2012

Beach... No, it's the OCEAN!!!


Yesterday, I had an awesome experience in Jacmel, Haiti. Jimmy, Marquise, Roberto, and I went to the ocean. We took a motorcycle ride, me in the middle, and Jimmy in the back. I had a moment when I felt like I was Kate Winslet with her Romeo behind her during that scene in Titanic. I lifted up my arms with Jimmy and we felt the wind brush our bodies, while I slightly turn my head to kiss him. Oh gosh, I sound like a lovesick puppy, which right now I am.

Back to the beach, or that’s what they call it and this place is gorgeous, even if it is littered with trash. Palm trees every seven feet, people walking around selling food, candy, all kinds of junk, and men walking around trying to earn a living with their music. It is a relaxing and fun atmosphere. Not to mention the ocean is GORGEOUS! The water is a beautiful clear blue and as soon as I went in, I explained that this is not a beach, but it is the ocean. It was warm and the inside of my bathing suit was instantly full of sand.
When I was younger, I remember my father bringing my brother and I to the ocean in New Hampshire. It was very similar, full of people, HOT sand and they have a boardwalk selling food, clothes, jewelry, etc. The biggest difference is the temperature of the water, and of course the location. The waves were the same and we would jump each time a big wave came our way. Jimmy and I played a game to see who could find the coolest rocks. He won of course! I brought home the first one he found, just as a memory. There were times when the waves took me over and took me under. That was the worst because the water taste disgusting and I was rubbing my eyes too much that by the end of the day they were sore.

I usually don’t eat fish, mostly because fish disgust me, the smell, the taste, the texture, but I tried some of Jimmy's and I actually somewhat liked it. It was strange though because the head and tail were still attached, and we ate the middle. I don’t think it is something I plan on eating every week, but I feel like I can be more open-minded about seafood now.
The drivers stayed with us for the day and our driver had a bottle of alcohol in his pocket. I noticed that he likes to race with the other motorcyclist. I am so very thankful that he didn’t smell like B.O. It is hot in Haiti if you haven’t guessed and half of the time I am not doing any activity but manage to still sweat.  I felt safe with our driver because he does this for a living, even if he is drinking on the job. It was about $16 U.S. dollars for the day for both Jimmy and I. The whole day was a great experience and I had a lot of fun. I was exhausted by bedtime.

Jimmy left for home today. I am going to PaP this weekend with Marquise and Roberto and I cannot wait to see him. It sickens me how in love I am, and it all happened so quickly. I look forward to seeing my foster family in PaP this weekend!

That is all for now, ladies and gentlemen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment